PWAs and the future of mobile apps with Construction Viz
We built Construction Viz as a progressive web app (PWA), which offers our construction industry clients many powerful capabilities out of the box. Read on to learn about PWA technology and how it is a game-changer for construction project management.
Traditional web apps that you install on your device have been around for over ten years. Think iPhone apps. Traditional web apps typically:
- Require users to download an app from the Apple App Store, Google Play, or the Microsoft Store
- Are custom-built applications that live on a specific platform, separate from the fully-featured business application
- Require frequent updates and constant maintenance
- Only provide a reduced or watered-down version of the complete web application.
Progressive web apps take things to the next level.
The Advantages of Progressive Web App Technology
So what is a progressive web app, how is it different from a regular web app, and why is this technology critical to delivering a leading-edge Project Management Information System (PMIS) of the future?
PWAs, unlike traditional web apps, are browser-based cross-platform mobile apps. These fully-featured applications behave just like a desktop application but run in your browser.
Progressive web apps have many advantages over traditional web apps, including:
- They are responsive across devices for a mobile workforce.
- They work on any modern browser.
- They behave like desktop applications independent of the browser.
- They allow for access to device hardware such as sensors, cameras, and GPS.
- You can work offline (yes, the entire application, not just a form).
- They utilize push notifications such as chat, weather updates, changes to content, event reminders within your operating system.
PWAs are are considered the future of mobile app development and many companies, including Microsoft, are making the move.
Why Progressive Web Apps Matter for Construction Project Management
There are four reasons why you, as a service worker or manager in the construction industry, should want a PMIS powered by progressive web app technology:
- PWAs will replace traditional apps, so you are future-proofing your investment by selecting a tool built with the latest generation of app technology.
- PWAs support offline access critical to construction work which often entails working in remote locations without reliable internet access.
- PWAs are a more cost-effective solution since there is a single application across all platforms, considerably reducing development and support costs.
- PWAs enable you to take advantage of any sensor tech in the end user's device or hardware, opening up advanced capabilities (like geolocation) critical to construction projects.
Lydon Solutions built Construction Viz from the ground up in React, the latest in client-side development technology, to be a progressive web app. Construction Viz users can take advantage of all the benefits of PWA technology that I described above.
Construction Viz added to the Start menu in Windows 10
The entire Construction Viz application can go offline, not just a form
Video of Construction Viz Daily Report rendered on an iPhone (no app required)
Get a Free Consultation & Stay in Touch
We invite you to schedule a free demo and consultation to learn more about how Construction Viz can help your organization reduce cost, stay on schedule, and be more efficient with your construction programs and projects. And don't forget to signup below to join our mailing list, so you don't miss any future updates.