Keep Organized with the Construction Viz Drawing Management App
Make sure your team always has access to the latest set of drawings for your projects with the Construction Viz Drawing Management app for Microsoft 365 and SharePoint.
A frequent challenge for construction project managers is finding and referencing the latest set of drawings. Part of the problem is that many organizations do not keep an updated master drawing list. Further complicating things, teams often store PDFs of the drawings for their projects without metadata in a shared drive with a complex folder structure. As a result, only employees that know the folder scheme can find and update drawing revisions correctly.
The impact of project teams not having timely access to the correct drawings can be felt from the home office to the field, resulting in lost productivity for the engineers and contractors doing the work. Effective drawing management is not just a problem for small companies. We have seen these kinds of issues happen even on multi-billion-dollar projects over the years.
With the new Construction Viz Drawing Management app, available for Microsoft 365 and SharePoint, we set out to reimagine how a system can help project teams manage construction drawings more effectively.
Six Key Features of the Construction Viz Drawing App
The Construction Viz Drawing Management app improves the entire drawing management process in six key areas:
1. Creating an interactive master drawing list. The Construction Viz Drawing app includes an interactive and searchable grid of every drawing organized by ID number, sheet, title, revision, discipline, area, and drawing set. The latest revisions are listed first, so team members are always working off the most recent revision. The grid can be filtered and grouped to find any drawing easily.
2. Organizing drawing file storage. No more complex folder structures. As with all Construction Viz data, the Drawing Management app stores each drawing and revision as a record with a single associated file in SharePoint for easy access.
3. Improving drawing revision management. When a user uploads new drawings, the app requires them to input a user-defined revision value. Since the app displays the latest revisions first, other team members can readily find and work off of the most recent version of a drawing.
4. Adding drawing metadata. The app requires users to complete standard metadata fields when uploading new drawings. This rich metadata lets teams filter, group, and search drawings in the app’s master grid view.
5. Relating drawings to other processes. The Drawing Management app integrates with other Construction Viz apps to add a “Related Drawings” component. The component enables users working in other apps to select one or more drawings and relate them to any record, such as an RFI or other form, using the same interactive and searchable grid featured in the Document Management app. This feature makes it quick and easy for users to include related drawings on construction forms and correspondence without having to deal with attachments.
6. Exporting drawing PDFs to local devices. Users can export drawing PDFs for use on their local devices from within the master drawing list grid or a related app using the component feature described above.
These six features of the Construction Viz Drawing Management app will save a project team the headache that comes with trying to update and find the latest drawing revisions. Integration with other Construction Viz apps ensures that users have ready access to the right drawings when and where they need them – and can share them with a few clicks.